|“||Do you know about it? When someone is extremely skilled at dribbling they can take your legs from under you... They're are called "Ankle Breaker!"||”|
—Fuwa Hyou, to Kenji Natsume
Hyou Fuwa (不破 豹, Fuwa Hyou) is a first-year small forward who plays for the Inter-high top challengers Yokohama Taiei High. At present, Hyou is the only freshman on the team to be part of the starting lineup. Kenji Natsume calls him 'Orange Head.'
Fuwa is about 178 cm. He has medium length messy orange hair with dark, oddly cat-like eyes. His jersey number is 15, and he wears 'Nike Air Bakin' sneakers.
He lived in the United States until the fifth grade. Fuwa first appeared in the series by challenging Kenji Natsume to a one-on-one game, which he later won. Fuwa has what is called by Kenji and the others an odd sense in style, making him stand out. At first glance, he would not appear to be a typical basketball player. When excited, he tends to lick his fingers, which reinforces the impression of his cat-like features. He believes that individual skills are everything, and Yokohama Taiei High is just a passing phase. He hates to practice and often skips it, and in that act, gets caught by Sakamaki, resulting in him receiving punishment and forced to practice more than the other club members. Hyou is considered an essential player on the team, and Sakamaki wants him to get over his personality-induced unevenness.
His ball-handling skills rival—if not surpass—Kenji's. He is an agile player, and although being only 178 cm tall, he can also perform dunks. Fuwa lacks coordination and often gets caught up in his game. Ultimately, the amount of training he receives from Yokohama Taiei High supports his skills. Amongst his freshmen peers, Fuwa was the only one selected for his transition playstyle. He mainly uses his left hand for layups and dunks, but he can also use his right-handed according to the circumstance.
- The name Hyou means "leopard" (豹).
- Hyou's surname Fuwa means "not" (不) (fu) and "break" (破) (wa).
- "Say... Aren't ya angry? Them sayin' shorty shorty. Don't that piss you off?" - to Yozan Kamiki (Chapter 96)
- "Well, you know, It's cuz I'm a Tensai. I don't need practice." - to Keisuke Mineta (Chapter 113)
- "I don't know about other people, But to me, skills are everything." - to Keisuke Mineta (Chapter 113)
- "So players on the team that are useless don't interest me one bit. Cuz 'Yokohama Taiei' is just a stepping stone." - to Keisuke Mineta (Chapter 113)
- "Hey, are you gonna help me pump some adrenaline? Cuz this game has been too boring so far." - to Kenji Natsume (Chapter 122)
- "Hey! I've been waiting. Let's shut them down this quarter. So make sure you give it your all." - to Yozan Kamiki (Chapter 132)