|“||I have no stamina no strength. So no matter what I wanted some kind of weapon. So ever since grade school I've done nothing but hook shot||”|
—Kaname Shigeyoshi, to Sora Kurumatani
Kaname Shigeyoshi (茂吉 要, Shigeyoshi Kaname), also known as Mokichi, is Kuzuryū High's Center.
Kaname is a tall guy, 200 cm, always looking dull. sometimes wears a face mask. He has long hair, brown eyes and is always seen wearing high school uniforms and sometimes normal clothing. He has abnormally long arms which gives him a huge advantage in basketball. His jersey number 12 and wears 'ASICS JAPAN series' sneakers.
Kaname comes across as being a shy and timid person. It has been stated that his personality type is a matter-of-fact type. This means that he is straightforward and that he can be unemotional. He makes his decisions based on logic and does not let his emotions get the better of him.
When Kaname was in middle school, lots of expectation were put to him due to his height, however, it turned to disappointment because of his weak health and low stamina. This led to him succumbing under the pressure, and stop playing basketball.
Due to his low stamina, he mostly starts as a substitute but is gradually adapting to a starting Center role. He specializes in hook shots and has quite an advanced technique. His hook shot is nearly unblockable and any attempt to almost always results in a goaltending violation. Physicality isn't his strong side but is improving in that regard. Due to his height and reach, his presence is also a help in defense and quite smart, able to keep up with Chiaki's mind busters.
- "It's not Mokichi. It's Shigeyoshi Kaname." - to Sora Kurumatani (Chapter 60)
- "Stop. Such an irritating thing. All I wanted was to play basketball and yet they selfishly decided to have expectations of me. And then selfishly got disappointed, when those expectations didn't pan out!! - to Sayuri Shigeyoshi (Chapter 62)
- "I thought Kuzu-High didn't have a basketball club? Turns out they have created a basketball club." - to Sayuri Shigeyoshi (Chapter 62)
- "I was sick and tired of the expectations and I had grown used to all the disappointments. But the truth is I never cared about any of that. On the day of the final match our sempais... Tsukishima-sempai... What I feared the most was losing your guiding light." - to himself (Chapter 65)
- The name Kaname means "pivot, vital point, cornerstone, keystone" (要).
- Kaname's surname Shigeyoshi means "lush, luxuriant" (茂) (shige) and "lucky, good" (吉) (yoshi).