|“||Alone you say? They are my precious pals. Compared to that my pride is worth nothing||”|
—Momoharu Hanazono, to Vice Principle
Momoharu Hanazono (花園 百春, Hanazono Momoharu) is the second-year center and captain of Kuzuryū High. He can also play the position of Power Forward when the team needs him. He also has a twin brother, named Chiaki Hanazono.
Momoharu is about 187 cm tall. At the start of the series, Momoharu had a blond pompadour hairstyle. After the Inter-High District Qualifiers, Hanazono trims his hair to atone for his wrongdoings in causing a fire at the boys' basketball clubhouse. He also has glasses due to his poor eyesight, but he rarely wears them. His jersey number is 4, and he wears 'ASICS Gel Double II' sneakers.
Momoharu has a superiority complex; his swagger is not a dead giveaway, but his attitude is. Due to those personality traits, Hanazono fits well in the position to be Kuzuryū High's captain. His twin brother, Chiaki, recommends others to avoid any confrontation with him. He's also stubborn and somewhat insecure about his basketball skills. But with the persistence of Sora, Momoharu rekindled his passion for the sport basketball again.
Despite his moderate personality traits, Momoharu is an experienced basketball player. When he and his colleagues played a 5-on-1 friendly match against Sora, Hanazono was the only one who didn't do any dirty plays or got into any foul trouble. Hence, he is serious about playing basketball. As the team captain, he takes his position very seriously. When his team gets into any trouble, Momoharu is not afraid to face the consequences for his team's actions.
Since he was young, Momoharu has been passionate about playing basketball. He, along with his twin brother Chiaki, would often stay after school hours to practice. Even though he diligently and constantly trained himself, Momoharu still struggled with depth perception and improving his shooting skills. As a result, he could not play most of the time at the official games in his junior high. Due to his lousy shooting skills, Hanazono received a lot of scolding from his middle school coach. This caused him to be discouraged, enough to stop him from playing the sport until his sophomore year at Kuzuryū High. Eventually, he met Sora. Witnessing Kurumatani's constant zeal and passion for the sport persuaded him back to play basketball again.
Momoharu is the centerpiece for both offense and defense to Kuzuryū High. His team heavily relies on his rebounding and blocking skills. Besides that, he also has excellent jumping power that enables him to go up against bigger guys, such as Shinichi Chiba of Maru High. Although being a primary center for Kuzuryū High, he is also a great power forward. Nonetheless, he only switches his center position to forward when Kaname is on the court. On the other hand, he is terrible at shooting and layups. Nevertheless, he is capable of doing dunks thanks to his height and jumping power.
- The name Momoharu means "peach."
- Momoharu's surname Hanazono means "flower, blossom" (花) (hana) and "garden" (園) (sono/zono).
- The Hanazono twins' respective play styles are the exact opposite of one another. Chiaki excels in offense while Momoharu shines in defense.
- Momoharu's design is most likely modeled after Hanamichi Sakuragi from the Slam Dunk series. Both characters have similar hairstyle(s), playing abilities, and specializations. Both players excel in rebounds given their amazing talent in jumping ability.
- "Lights are on in the gym... No way? It can't be he's been shooting from that line? Just how many shots has he made...?" - to Sora Kurumatani (Chapter 4)
- "In the Middle School I couldn't make a shot at all. Eventually I gave up before I became a senior student." - to Sora Kurumatani (Chapter 4)
- "I don't know what you were looking forward to. I've got no talent in basketball at all." - to Sora Kurumatani (Chapter 4)
- "It's real... That shrimp's expectations and hopes. Coz he's with us for a long time now, basketball hasn't been as boring." - to Chiaki Hanazono (Chapter 5)
- "I thought everything would change if we won. Even if we don't win. I thought something would change. But nothing will if I don't change... Nothing is going to change!!" - to himself (Chapter 138)