|“||If you make fun of me being small... You'll have to pay for it||”|
—Sora Kurumatani, to Shinmaruko High
Sora is short in height about 150 cm. He has unruly dark blue hair and dark eyes. His jersey number is 15. At the start of the series, he wore 'ASICS Japan Pro' sneakers that belonged to his mother. He later switched to 'Nike Air Zoom Flight 5' and then to 'Nike Air Zoom Brave 3' sneakers.
Sora is an excellent 3-point shooter, considering he trained his form since he was young. He can shoot better from the right side. After the practice match against Shinmaruko High, Sora improved his shooting from the left side.
He also has good handles. These skills compensate for his lack of height. His usual position is shooting guard, but can still play point guard when the team needs him.
He is considered a good defender as shown in Kuzuryu vs Kitasumi High match, as he successfully defended against Taro the entire game.
- The name Sora means "sky, azure, atmosphere."
- Sora's surname Kurumatani means "car" (車) (kuruma) and "valley" (谷) (tani).
- "These are my wings." - to Chiaki Hanazono (Chapter 1)
- "It doesn't matter how many people I'm facing... I'll never run away." - to Chiaki Hanazono (Chapter 1)
- "Let's play basketball. Momoharu-kun... It's a promise! I will be waiting!" - to Momoharu Hanazono (Chapter 2)
- "Once I get into the basketball team... From today on, I think I'll be able to practice as much as I want!!" - to himself (Chapter 3)
- "You gotta show me that move again!! How does it feel to Fly?" - to Momoharu Hanazono (Chapter 4)
- "Every person has their own way of shooting. Depending on their personality. I think Momoharu-kun's form is good, not rough at all." - to Momoharu Hanazono (Chapter 5)
- "I always shoot the ball in order for the ball to go in... For example, when you shoot is there anything to look out for?" - to Momoharu Hanazono (Chapter 5)
- "We want to become stronger than we were yesterday." - to Kaname Shigeyoshi (Chapter 114)
- "What I can do right now... Is pour my body and soul into this single one shot." - to himself (Chapter 119)
- "It's not over. Like hell it's over! Nothing... Nothing has even started yet. How could we let it end without doing a single thing about it!!" - to himself (Chapter 138)